Popular Posts

Friday 12 May 2017

28. My poem for ME Awareness Day


***Press here to view ...
ME Awareness Day poem on You Tube






ME since I was 24

Me since I was 24

When I was 24 ME was 'yuppie flu'
Belittled and mocked by the press
That's the reason no-one knew
and 'til i was 54 I couldn't confess

That I've had ME for thirty years
And only the risk of being fired
Led me to face my fears 
And admit - out loud - I was more than 'tired'

Avoiding diagnosis for many years because
Who?
Who would want the label Yuppie Flu?
To be given by doctors who've been taught
 "its all in their heads, they think they're ill; they're not"

At 24 Epstein Barr Virus known as glandular fever
Left me weak and sore for months, for years
Recurrent infections of chest and throat and ears
And pain in joints and muscles
So extreme 
at times it made me scream
A weak and sorry sound 
As i crawled along the ground
To bathe and feed myself
Longing for my health 
to return, my work and my social life to resume.
Seen by doctors who were taught 
"It's all in their heads, they think they're ill; they're not"

Then there's the comedians who think ME's fair game
Because compared to cancer 
"It's really not the same" ... So ..


...let's all laugh at Sue who has ME - It's really quite a joke
that 'fired' rhymes with 'tired' so we'll take an easy poke
At Sue who's kids are growing up with mum who's been 'retired'
A part-time mum, in bed a lot because she's merely tired

....so let's see if we can raise a laugh at Sue who has ME
It's really quite hilarious that people cannot see
The millions missing from society, from schools and from work places
Because ME is stealing life from them and hiding all their faces.

ME really isn't comedy
The missing millions worldwide are more than ready
To use what health and energy we can 
 to ask the governments to plan
research funds, for a medical breakthrough
That will cure this devastating disease and to ask you ...

Until a cure's found for ME
Please show us you can see
The millions missing from society, from schools and from work places
Because ME is stealing life from them and hiding all their faces.


 







No comments:

Post a Comment